People are asking if Biden’s administration will prosecute Trump after he leaves the office.
- This is for the Department of Justice to decide and Biden will not interfere
- It would be very unusual (in fact, it’s never been done before)
- It might not be good for democracy
- It could distract from the real work that needs to be done
- It’s better to make sure that whatever Trump did cannot be done again
- A new president should look forward, not backward
- It’s a political time bomb
- It could divide the country
Yes. All valid points.
But one basic, more personal reason seems to be missing: whoever first allows prosecution against his predecessor opens himself up to such prosecution.
A classic conflict of interest. Like the employee who riled against managers’ inflated bonuses until he became a manager, and then those bonuses were just fine and actually deserved.